Sunday, March 17, 2013

Reflection on Webinars


March 17, 2013

Webinars 1-2-3 The wealth of information and realm of possibilities of these apps was mind-boggling hence the reason for this mind blogging!

In trying to digest all the information from the 3 webinars and relate it to my final project with a particular student in mind, I began to think deeper on how to truly assess his needs before embarking on a AAC to support his learning. I have already used several apps but I realized I needed to step back and do more research on how to gather as much information as I could on his learning profile, beyond his cum file, recent assessments from his classroom and Learning Center teachers, our school board’s autism team, the early intervention team, IWK as well as my own observations. I found an online assessment matrix which was helpful in gathering information on where to begin: http://www.communicationmatrix.org/

My case study non-verbal student functions developmentally at 36 months of age. Because of this I was interested in the pre-school apps such as the Grasshopper apps. I did further research on the Grasshopper site and found amazing apps for coordination, motor skills and stimulation. http://www.grasshopperapps.com/   Another app on the webinar that was useful was the ABC’s Writer for elementary levels. This app allows students to trace letters and hone in on fine motor skills and directionality needed for effective iPad use. The Touch Trainer app is great as well for developing target skills. This app allows you to individualize taps on the iPad in order to develop those skills to use these devices. The Baby Fun apps will garner his attention and develop task completion which for this particular student is a challenge.

Focusing on speech/communication, I found the SpeechButton app effective because of its simplicity. It’s a great introductory app for non-verbal students with both physical and cognitive challenges. I am looking forward to getting back to school to try out the My Voice app to begin developing his ability to communicate basic needs and wants. It boggles my mind with all these resources available to us (not to mention free or at minimal costs!!) that we have not implemented any assistive tech tools for this student before this year. I wonder if our schools are under the impression that students who function at a pre-school level are not able to use assistive technology tools to learn until they have reached a school-level developmental age.

No comments:

Post a Comment